Robert is the founder and current Managing Director of the Practice.
He was brought up in Chalfont St Giles and after attending Dr Challoners School in Amersham, he studied law at Cardiff Law School in 1995. He completed his training with DC Kaye & Co Solicitors and qualified as a Solicitor in 1996. In that role, he continued his development and in 2000 became Partner and then the firm’s Senior Partner. In 2013 Robert left his Senior Partner role to establish Cartmell & Co Solicitors.
As founder and Managing Director, he is fulfilling his ambition to create and manage a modern law firm that specialises in all main areas of legal work in a High Street law firm environment. His role currently has a multi-disciplinary function of overall leadership of the Company, Head of Department in Dispute Resolution and Company & Commercial work and as well as continuing to act as consultant Solicitor and Trustee in his specialist area of Wills, Trusts and Estates management.
Robert’s particular area of legal interest and expertise is:
Wills, Probate & Trusts administration for families. He has worked in that capacity for over 18 years and specialises in all aspects of Estate planning including Inheritance Tax and estate protection. He is also a specialist Trustee and has been appointed personal Trustee for the estates and Trusts of many individuals and families. He is also an Associate Professional Member of the SFE (Solicitors For The Elderly) and is the Head of our Private Client Department covering all aspects of estate planning and Wills. Additionally, Robert has led our firm’s appointment to the Law Society’s panel for quality assurance in WIQS, the Wills & Inheritance Quality Scheme.
Key Experience and Cases
- Drafting Trusts and Wills for large numbers of families and individuals of differing backgrounds over an 18-year period. Explaining Trusts to the layperson and helping to administer Trusts and acting in their administration is a key strength.
- Acting in contested Wills or Probate administration cases. Resolving disputes on such matters is a particular area of legal specialisation that requires a high degree of sensitivity and understanding of the family’s circumstances as well as the legal issues. Robert has acted and resolved cases for all categories concerned, being either the existing beneficiaries, the impartial executors or person(s) affected by the terms of the Will or documents concerned.
- Sale of a particularly complex business following death of the sole owner; helping to negotiate the terms of sale for the Estate and then to conduct the processes to a conclusion.
- Acting as Executor-Solicitor in successful recovery of large pension fund for the Charitable beneficiaries of a Will against two pension organisations; matter resolved successfully at final assessment by the Pensions Ombudsman.
- Acting as solicitor for a family excluded from ownership of the family home; matter resolved successfully for our clients at full trial in High Court Chancery proceedings.
- Extensive Inheritance Tax planning through the use of Trusts and advising clients over a number of years.
- Advising UK clients in respect of the approach to take in the UK with regard to foreign trust arrangements including those relating to the United States, New Zealand, Jersey, Isle of Man, Liechtenstein.
- Deputy appointments in the Court of Protection on a number of matters involving vulnerable clients.
- Appointed Executor or Trustee on over a thousand Wills and Trusts for families.
- 2013: Managing Director and Solicitor, Cartmell & Co
- 2007: Managing Director and Head of Private Client Department, DC Kaye & Co
- 1996: Solicitor and Head of Private Client Department, DC Kaye & Co
- 1995: Trainee Solicitor, DC Kaye & Co